Wireless Charging Technology and Standards
The technology is based on a power transfer technique where power is transferred across the air or even through non-permeable material, such as concrete and asphalt. As a whole, the technology is a Wireless Power transfer technique, as you are able to not only charge batteries but also power devices and communicate to them directly. Therefore, the market is characterized as all participants of the Wireless Power industry.
However, the technology is influenced by several Standards.
- Qi Wireless Charging was developed by the Wireless Power Consortium (WPC) in 2008.
- AirFuel Wireless Charging was created by the AirFuel Alliance, which was formed by the merger of Alliance for Wireless Power (A4WP) and Power Matters Alliance (PMA) in 2015. This standard includes many developers in the RF charging field.
- More standards and companies developing Wireless Charging solutions.
The technology has a wide application range because the technology is:
- secure (no electrocution – no cable connections)
- easy to use and maintain – consumer friendly